Friday, May 13, 2016

REFLECTIONS

This was our first trip to TCI-Provo.  It was relaxing.  A nice break from the long Buffalo winters which seem to last forever.  Thankfully this past winter hasn't been too bad but we still needed this break.

I really lucked out with our lodging.  It was the first time I used VRBO and everything was perfect.  We loved our condo and Ocean Club West.  Met so many friendly people-staff as well as other vacationers.

Another great decision was renting our "character" car from Grace Bay Car Rentals.  Smart choice.

My husband enjoyed his days of diving with Dive Provo very much.  He grew to be very comfortable driving on the left.  The price of gas was a shocker but we had booked an economy car-thank goodness!  Grocery prices weren't as high as I thought they would be.

We had fantastic meals at the restaurants for the most part.  We were happily amazed that such a small island could boast so many great places to dine.  And the drinks........  My husband fell in love with Turk's Head amber and I had fun with my mixed drinks.  Loved going to the local fish fry but wished I could have stayed until the end but my husband wasn't feeling well-too much sun from diving that day.  Loved the food, the music, the things I bought, the energy-terrific!

We enjoyed our do it yourself excursion over to North and Middle Caicos.  I wish I would have planned some things better though.  Like being able to visit Wade's Green Plantation.  Finding the Indian Cave!  Would have loved to have had a swim at Bambarra Beach but the current was too strong and no one was in the water.  Bummer.  Needed better communication with Al regarding our rental car.  Glad I got something from the Middle Caicos Co-Op to support the local handicrafts.  Meeting Daniel was pleasant.  He's such a nice guy.  And his cracked conch was terrific.

Glad we did the Caicos Cays Cruise with Big Blue.  What a lovely day.  Sorry we didn't get to do the pontoon excursion with Las Brisas/Neptune Villas on Chalk Sound.

The beaches..........That's what Provo is about I guess.  Grace Bay beach was beautiful and those colors will blow your mind.  White sand between your toes and your feet don't burn when you walk on the sand!  Just wish it would have been calmer so this barely able to swim senior could have enjoyed the beach more.  Loved Long Bay beach, Sapodilla Bay beach, Taylor Bay beach as I could swim at these beaches with the calmer water.  Snorkeling at Coral Gardens was ok-the current was a bit too much for me but I enjoyed what I saw.

Really made use of the pool.  It was large and it felt great to just be lazy there.  The pool was a very social place!

Meeting Atelys and bringing home the jewelry she made for me was one of the highlights of this trip. Not only is she talented in her craft but she is a genuinely nice person and I'm glad to have met her.  I wish her lots of continued success which I'm sure is going to happen.  All the servers we had at the places where we ate were so friendly and outgoing.  In my notebook I jotted down all their names.  All the locals or belongers as they're called were a pleasure.  Kudos to the reception staff at Ocean Club West who helped me with directions.

I can understand why so many vacationers return here year after year.  This is certainly high on our list of places we would revisit.

Thanks to everyone on Trip Advisor who helped with my planning for this trip.  Reading trip reports and other relevant posts are invaluable.

Things I'd do differently are not many.  Mostly it would be to pack less due to having a washer and dryer in our condo.  Take less camera gear.  Go out for breakfast once or twice instead of having all breakfasts at the condo.  Plan better for our trip to North and Middle Caicos although I had originally booked this day long trip with Big Blue but it got canceled.  Sometimes it's nice to have others do all the planning for you!


The words on my TCI necklace that Atelys made sum up this trip-SUN, SAND, SEA.



No comments:

Post a Comment